Long Island News
Man arrested in fatal hit and run
GARDEN CITY, Queens (WABC) -- For the first time, a family is speaking out about the death of their son who was killed by a hit and run driver on Long Island.
41-year-old Dean LaLima was struck as he was riding his bike home from work on Sunday.
Wednesday, police received an anonymous tip that they say led them to the killer.
Restaurant in Garden City was dark Wednesday night.
There are no tickets on the wheel, no line at the door or dinners on the tables.
The workers just couldn't find a smile for the customers after the sudden death of their boss and friend.
"He was awesome, he was like the best big brother you could ever have," said his sister.
45-year-old Raymond Kalenka is now charged in connection with Dean LaLima's death.
Kalenka was arraigned Wednesday on a single charge of leaving the scene of an accident where a death occurred.
Police got an anonymous tip that that it was Kalenka who struck and killed LaLima, as he was riding his bike home from work early Sunday morning.
"He left behind a sister, and three wonderful nephews, two of whom were his godchildren," said John LaLima, the victim's father.
"Dean was the finest kind of person that you would ever want to meet," said Craig Biscone, the victim's friend, "I started as a customer and became one of his closest friends in the world, he had the keys to my house in Garden City, the keys to my house in Vermont, and he was welcome in both of them any time that he wanted."
His family still has questions about how Dean LaLima died, but they have none about how he lived.
"All I heard was praise, you have the greatest son in the world, you must be a proud papa," John LaLima said.
Mr. Kalenka pleaded not guilty to the single charge against him. The judge set a $50,000 bail. Kalenka has two children, both sons, one in high school and one in college, but no one answered at his home when Eyewitness News went there Wednesday night.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hit and run accident, garden city, long island news, jim dolan
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos