Long Island News
Funeral for Marine killed in Afghanistan
OCEANSIDE (WABC) -- Funeral services are being held Saturday for a Marine from Long Island who was killed in Afghanistan.
Lance Corporal Greg Buckley, Jr. will be laid to rest at Long Island National Cemetary in Pinelawn, following the funeral at St. Agnes Cathedral in Rockville Centre.
Hundreds of people attended two days of wakes at an Oceanside funeral home to pay their respects to the 21-year old.
"I think it's a tragedy," said Nina Rosato, a family friend.
It's a heart-breaking reality for his father.
"I know a lot of the people here feel for me and my family, and my two boys, they're broken hearted so bad," Gregory Buckley, Sr., said. "My boys, and their mom. It's devastating to her. It's her baby. No mother should lose their child like that."
Buckley, Jr., was killed last Friday on a U.S. base, gunned down when an Afghan police officer opened fire in a gymnasium with an AK-47.
He was just days away from coming home for a visit.
"I had to go and watch my child taken out of a plane in a box, and it's heartbreaking," Buckley, Sr,. said.
A father's heartache was comforted by the support of friends and family. They filled the funeral home for the wake, surrounded by photographs and videos of the young Marine before he signed up to serve his country.
"Obviously he paid the ultimate sacrifice," Rep. Peter King said. "The country is always going to be indebted to him."
Greg Buckley Sr. says his son feared he wouldn't come home alive.
"He said please don't tell mom or my brothers, but I don't think I'm ever going to make it home," he said.
They are words that will never leave a father who is still in shock and disillusioned with the war in Afghanistan.
"These young men are dying every day over there, the people don't like us," Buckley, Sr., said. "You ripped apart a community, my family. We were so tight, so close."
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, oceanside, afghanistan, afghanistan war, soldier killed, long island news, darla miles
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded 10 min ago
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow 52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder 58 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement 32 min ago
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Sketches released of suspects wanted in lurings
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
10 min ago
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in...
32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
58 min ago