Long Island News
Man in fake death scam re-arrested for calling wife
MINEOLA (WABC) -- The unemployed Long Island man suspected of faking his own drowning was re-arrested early Thursday for allegedly violating an order of protection barring any contact with his estranged wife, Evana.
Police say he called his wife three times. They say Evana did not pick up the first two calls, but answered the third. Raymond Roth is alleged to have said "Evana, you know who this is." He was taken into custody just before 1 a.m.
He was arraigned in Hempstead Thursday morning on a charge of second-degree criminal contempt. His bail was set at $10,000, and he is expected to post later Thursday.
According to Roth's lawyer, Brian Davis, Roth's intention was merely to coordinate the sale of the couple's Massapequa house. Davis says Roth was served with the order of protection when he was "out of it" in the psych ward at the hospital and may not have understood its full meaning.
Raymond Roth was arrested earlier Wednesday on charges including conspiracy to commit insurance fraud and falsely reporting an incident. A prosecutor said Roth and his 22-year-old son, Jonathan, who was arrested last week on the same charges and is free on bond, conspired to cash in on $410,000 in life insurance policies.
The elder Roth pleaded not guilty at his arraignment, and Davis said his client posted $100,000 bail and was released.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, mineola, raymond roth, long island news, josh einiger
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze' 24 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor 40 min ago
- Most Metro-North service resumes on Hudson Line
- Moriches boat crash injures 3 fishermen
- Search for missing teenager in Linden, New Jersey
- Woman's body discovered in Rochelle Park 12 min ago
- Wake for one of high school sweethearts killed in crash
- 5-year old girl from East Harlem missing
- Prospect Park Zoo welcomes two new Zebus
- Newtown 911 calls to be released Wednesday 16 min ago
- 'Fast & Furious 7' halted after Paul Walker's death
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
24 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos