Long Island News
EXCLUSIVE: Couple talks about deadly explosion
BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (WABC) -- The parents of a little boy who died when a propane blast blew their home apart in Brentwood spoke to Eyewitness News about the horrible day.
"Still to this day I can't believe that he's not here with us," said Christina Morgan Palmer, Rahquan's mother.
Christina Palmer says the grief is unbearable.
Her little boy, Rahquan Palmer, was just 18-months-old. He was playing with his mom and dad in the master bedroom when the entire house suddenly blew apart.
"My son's crying, I've got everything on my back, I can't do nothing, pounds, pounds," said Rashamel Palmer, Rahquan's father.
Rahquan's father struggled to reach his son, while Christina was trapped beneath a dresser, fearing the worst.
"I knew that his little body couldn't take that. Because I know if I can't move, he can't move it, my son was not going to make it," Christina Morgan Palmer said.
"Could you get to him?" Eyewitness News reporter N.J. Burkett asked.
"No," Rashamel Palmer said.
After several minutes, neighbors and firefighters freed the couple. Rahquan was the last to be found.
"All I remember hearing is the firefighter saying, 'I found the baby, I found the baby' and she ran right past me with the baby. All I seen was my son laying in her arms like this and I just knew," Christina Morgan Palmer said.
Investigators say the blast was the result of a propane leak in the home's basement. What caused the leak and the spark is still not clear.
The Palmers were renting the home and told Eyewitness News there was absolutely no odor of gas before the blast.
It's left them with absolutely nothing. No clothes, no food, nowhere to live, and no way to bury their little boy after his funeral on Wednesday.
"Anything will help, anything, donations, just anything to help us in our time of need," Christina Morgan Palmer said.
"Just pray for us, please, just pray for us, please, please," Rashamel Palmer said.
If you would like to help the Palmer family, please visit: http://www.gofundme.com/124iic
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, child death, explosion, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Dog saved from burning home in Brooklyn by FDNY
- 13-year-old bystander shot in head in Brooklyn
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos