Long Island News
Heavy rain leads to closure of 14 Nassau County beaches
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- The Nassau County Health Department closed 14 beaches to bathing Saturday as a precautionary measure.
The action comes following heavy rainfall.
Health officials say storm water runoff can have a negative impact by elevating bacterial levels and affecting bathing water quality.
The beaches closed are on the north shore:
Centre Island Sound
Laurel Hollow Beach
North Hempstead Beach Park
Piping Rock Beach Club
Sea Cliff Village Beach
In addition, Biltmore Beach Club in Massapequa is closed due to elevated bacterial levels.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, beach closed, long island news
- Over 75 injured in London theatre roof collapse 36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Sales: Last minute holiday gifts
- Bus accident on Route 3 in Clifton
- Photos: Injuries reported in Clifton, NJ bus accident
- Tax trouble for taxi tycoon?
- City Council passes plastic foam, e-cigarette bills
- 4 juveniles charges in possible knockout attacks
- Human error contributed in delay of Ariel Russo 911 response
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach
- Consumer Reports: Nasty Chicken
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos