Long Island News
Heavy rain leads to closure of 14 Nassau County beaches
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- The Nassau County Health Department closed 14 beaches to bathing Saturday as a precautionary measure.
The action comes following heavy rainfall.
Health officials say storm water runoff can have a negative impact by elevating bacterial levels and affecting bathing water quality.
The beaches closed are on the north shore:
Centre Island Sound
Laurel Hollow Beach
North Hempstead Beach Park
Piping Rock Beach Club
Sea Cliff Village Beach
In addition, Biltmore Beach Club in Massapequa is closed due to elevated bacterial levels.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, beach closed, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos