Long Island News
NTSB investigating deadly Shirley plane crash
SHIRLEY, L.I. (WABC) -- The NTSB is at the scene of a deadly plane crash on Long Island Monday.
Two people, one of them an assistant school superintendent from Orange County were killed in the crash, while a third person remains in critical condition.
The single-engine plane plummeted to the street in a fiery crash just before noon Sunday in Shirley, where neighbors tried to douse the flames with fire extinguishers and garden hoses.
"It bounced from the roof to the lawn, and it bounced in one of the trees," one witness said.
The NTSB has a team of investigators working at the crash site on Helene Avenue, which is barely a mile away from Brookhaven Calabro Airport, where the plane took off.
At lunchtime on Sunday, a brigade of neighbors poured out of homes moments after the crash, armed with fire extinguishers and garden hoses. They risked their lives helping Erik Unhjem and his wife, Jane, out of the burning wreckage.
But the third person, still alive, was pinned. 53-year-old David McElroy was nearly burned beyond recognition. He died in the flames, while onlookers watched in horror, unable to save him.
"The girls were crying hysterically," a witness said. "I felt so bad. It's really sad...They saw it, and they saw them die."
The wreckage won't be moved until the NTSB team gives the okay.
Jane Unhjem, a 60-year-old assistant school superintendent from Goshen, died several hours after being hospitalized with burns. Erik Unhjem remains in critical condition at Stony Brook University Medical Center.
Flags at Goshen Central School District flew at half staff on Monday.
"She was a very loving mother, had two children Gail whos getting married and her son she was a very loving mother and very involved with the wedding plans and looking forward to it," said James Kimiecik, Goshen Central School District.
The aircraft is a Socata TB10 and is registered to a man in Orlando, Florida, the FAA said. Known as a tobago, the model is no longer manufactured. It had been at the Brookhaven Airport for the past month.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, shirley, plane crash, long island news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Much Colder 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 1 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
30 min ago