Long Island News
3 arrested in West Babylon recycling scam
WEST BABYLON (WABC) -- Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota is holding a news conference Thursday to announce arrests in a recycling scam.
Investigators say two managers at a recycling plant in West Babylon and the operator of a salvage business illegally transferred and sold recyclable paper and cardboard collected at curbside from Smithtown residents.
The materials that were supposed to go to the Smithtown Recycling Center were instead illegally sold for cash.
William Stegemann, 55, and Michael Dalessandro, 43, were employees of garbage carting firm Jody Enterprises, while 72-year-old Joseph DeMatteo owned and operated DeMatteo Salvage.
Spota said the investigation, which is ongoing, established that Stegemann and Dalessandro, instead of delivering the material to the Smithtown recycling plant, diverted the Smithtown cardboard and paper for under-the-counter cash payments from DeMatteo.
The trio is charged with second-degree grand larceny.
"We have evidence these suspects have been profiting at the expense of Smithtown taxpayers by depriving the town of recycling revenue for at least the past two years," Spota said.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, west babylon, smithtown, long island news
- Newark bus crash leaves 9 hurt, 1 critically
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 4 min ago
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC 6 min ago
- Murder-suicide shooting at NJ nail salon
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
54 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat...
6 min ago