Long Island News
Rescuer recalls small plane crash on Long Island
WAINSCOTT (WABC) -- Craig Schum is still trying to figure out how to deal with what he saw on Sunday. He was just passing by East Hampton Airport when he heard a huge bang in the woods nearby.
"There really wasn't a decision at that point. I was just running at this plane that was on fire," Schum said.
Schum scaled a 10-foot wire fence. He came upon the pilot Steven Bochter, who's from Massachusetts, and his passenger Kimberly Brillo.
Schum says Bochter was walking around bloodied and dazed.
"She was on the ground, her legs still in the plane. I thought she was dead. She was completely covered in blood. They were all cut up. Both of them," he said.
Schum lifted Brillo out of the burning plane and with the help of several other people carried both of them to safety.
Schum says he hasn't slept since this all happened. He came straight to work at Levain Bakery in Wainscott. He's been getting a lot of kudos, but if you ask him -
"I didn't do anything. I just helped people who needed help," he said.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Salac said the agency is investigating the accident, along with the National Transportation Safety Board.
The small airport is located about 100 miles east of New York City, in an area frequented by celebrities and the wealthy. According to the airport's website, it serves a mix of private pilots, charter flights and commercial businesses. About 16,000 aircraft use the airport it annually, mostly between the months of May to October.
WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, plane crash, rescue, long island news, kristin thorne
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 90-minute delays after LIRR service suspension 38 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 26 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians 41 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
26 min ago