Long Island News
Man killed in carnival ride accident in Brentwood
BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- A spinning amusement ride has hit a worker in the head and killed him at a Long Island carnival.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating Sunday.
The accident happened Saturday at the "Feast of Mother Cabrini festival" in Brentwood.
Suffolk County police say the worker went under the ride - called the Scat - to fetch something for its operator around 7:30 p.m.
Police say he stood up, and the ride hit him and knocked him to the ground.
Carnival organizers identified the worker as 22-year-old Michael Austin.
Organizers say in a statement that the ride was found to be working properly. They say it will be closed for the rest of the carnival out of respect for Austin.
The Scat features riders standing in spinning baskets.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, long island news
- Newtown 911 calls released
- AccuWeather Forecast: Mild Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Derailment survivor remembers sister who died
- Mayor-elect de Blasio names deputy mayor
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs 56 min ago
- Woman charged with setting minivan fire, kids inside
- abcnews: Truck Carrying Radioactive Material Stolen...
- Parents plead for help to save boys from rare disease 45 min ago
- Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash, autopsy finds
- Bad Dog: Sunny knocks over child at holiday party
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013