Long Island News
Man killed in carnival ride accident in Brentwood
BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- A spinning amusement ride has hit a worker in the head and killed him at a Long Island carnival.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating Sunday.
The accident happened Saturday at the "Feast of Mother Cabrini festival" in Brentwood.
Suffolk County police say the worker went under the ride - called the Scat - to fetch something for its operator around 7:30 p.m.
Police say he stood up, and the ride hit him and knocked him to the ground.
Carnival organizers identified the worker as 22-year-old Michael Austin.
Organizers say in a statement that the ride was found to be working properly. They say it will be closed for the rest of the carnival out of respect for Austin.
The Scat features riders standing in spinning baskets.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, suffolk county, accident, long island news
- Robbery suspect dead in Brooklyn police shooting 3 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable 47 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- FDNY rescues worker trapped in Queens trench
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- Box cutter found on Tokyo flight to NYC
- Upper East Side convenience store robbed at gunpoint
- Man beaten with a bat and brick for his iPod
- LIRR: Near normal commute expected Wednesday
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez questioned in murder
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100 in Game 6
- Photos: FDNY works to rescue man trapped in trench
- Photos: Most Wanted: Nassau County
- AccuWeather Forecast: Comfortable
47 min ago