Long Island News
Man killed in carnival ride accident in Brentwood
BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- A spinning amusement ride has hit a worker in the head and killed him at a Long Island carnival.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating Sunday.
The accident happened Saturday at the "Feast of Mother Cabrini festival" in Brentwood.
Suffolk County police say the worker went under the ride - called the Scat - to fetch something for its operator around 7:30 p.m.
Police say he stood up, and the ride hit him and knocked him to the ground.
Carnival organizers identified the worker as 22-year-old Michael Austin.
Organizers say in a statement that the ride was found to be working properly. They say it will be closed for the rest of the carnival out of respect for Austin.
The Scat features riders standing in spinning baskets.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, suffolk county, accident, long island news
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- Subway service impacted after officer injured in Brooklyn
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- President Obama says 2013 hasn't been so bad
- Teen dead, 2 sisters critical in Brooklyn fire
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Volunteers give Vietnam Vet special holiday gift
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos