Long Island News
Man killed in carnival ride accident in Brentwood
BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- A spinning amusement ride has hit a worker in the head and killed him at a Long Island carnival.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating Sunday.
The accident happened Saturday at the "Feast of Mother Cabrini festival" in Brentwood.
Suffolk County police say the worker went under the ride - called the Scat - to fetch something for its operator around 7:30 p.m.
Police say he stood up, and the ride hit him and knocked him to the ground.
Carnival organizers identified the worker as 22-year-old Michael Austin.
Organizers say in a statement that the ride was found to be working properly. They say it will be closed for the rest of the carnival out of respect for Austin.
The Scat features riders standing in spinning baskets.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, suffolk county, accident, long island news
- Mike Woodson out as head coach of Knicks
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security 36 min ago
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos