Long Island News
Man killed in carnival ride accident in Brentwood
BRENTWOOD (WABC) -- A spinning amusement ride has hit a worker in the head and killed him at a Long Island carnival.
The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration was investigating Sunday.
The accident happened Saturday at the "Feast of Mother Cabrini festival" in Brentwood.
Suffolk County police say the worker went under the ride - called the Scat - to fetch something for its operator around 7:30 p.m.
Police say he stood up, and the ride hit him and knocked him to the ground.
Carnival organizers identified the worker as 22-year-old Michael Austin.
Organizers say in a statement that the ride was found to be working properly. They say it will be closed for the rest of the carnival out of respect for Austin.
The Scat features riders standing in spinning baskets.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, brentwood, suffolk county, accident, long island news
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower 1 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog
- Cardinal Dolan supports universal pre-k
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
1 min ago