Long Island News
Freeport man arrested in deadly fire that killed wife
FREEPORT (WABC) -- A Long Island man is facing murder charges in a suspicious fire that killed a woman, believed to be his 22-year-old wife.
The fire broke out at a home on Craig Avenue in Freeport around 6 a.m. Monday. The woman was found near the front area of the house after the blaze was extinguished.
The man believed to be the husband of the victim, 49-year-old Loventino Cassadean, was taken into custody after he flagged down an officer on North Long Beach Road.
While the woman's identity has not been released, neighbors say she was his wife and the mother of two children. They described her as a hard-working woman.
"She was nice, you know, trying to go to school, raising up two kids there," friend Elaine McArthur said. "Always loved friends and family, tried to help out other people."
Investigators said the victim was stabbed and then the bed was set on fire using accelerant, likely gasoline. Police do not know if she was already dead when fire was set or how much time passed between the stabbing and fire.
Officials said the victim had a 5-year-old child from a previous relationship and a 2-year-old fathered by the suspect.
Cassadean had prior arrest for sexual assault in Nassau County in April. Police believe he and victim had an ongoing dispute because of that charge.
Cassadean is charged with second-degree murder. Charges in this case could be upgraded as investigation continues, officials said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, freeport, fire, fire death, long island news, marci gonzalez
- New measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx 31 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- NJ woman charged in butt injection death
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 21 min ago
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309M for Tuesday drawing
- Burger King baby seeks birth mom 43 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam...
21 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos