Long Island News
Missing fisherman found alive by police dog
SMITHTOWN, New York (WABC) -- The doctor who went missing while fly-fishing on Labor Day was found Thursday afternoon in the Smithtown nature preserve.
Authorities say 76-year-old Dr. Jerome Nadler disappeared while fishing at the 543-acre Caleb Smith State Park Preserve on Monday.
He parked his white Subaru but never returned to the vehicle.
After four days of searching , which including divers, off-road vehicles and a helicopter, he was located by a Suffolk County Police K-9 dog named Chase.
The doctor was found laying on his back, about a quarter-mile from a creek that feeds the Nissequogue River.
Nadler was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital for treatment. He was dehydrated and had numerous bug bites, but was expected to survive.
Nadler is an internist with more than 35 years in practice who studied medicine in Switzerland. He is also a Vietnam veteran who served in the U.S. Navy.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 21 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
21 min ago