Long Island News
Dogs seized, man arrest in Shirley
SHIRLEY (WABC) -- More than two dozen dogs have been seized and a homeowner arrested after authorities say they found the pups living in squalor conditions.
SPCA officers and Suffolk County police were called to the Shirley home after neighbors complained of dogs barking and strong smells of urine.
Edward Erdman, 38, of 567 Rowlinson Drive was charged with animal cruelty.
"The conditions these dogs were forced to endure were horrible," Roy Gross, Chief of the Suffolk County SPCA said.
The dogs were living in their own excrement with no food or water.
Chief Gross said that some of the dogs looked emaciated.
The investigation is continuing.
The dogs are now at Brookhaven Animal Shelter.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, shirley, animal abuse, long island news
- AccuWeather Alert: Stormy day
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Suspect in custody in Queens bus shooting 41 min ago
- Woman arrested in shooting death of Jersey City boy
- Threat prompts lockdown at Saddle Brook schools 6 min ago
- UK: London terror attack suspects had been probed
- West Point soldier charged with videotaping women
- Anthony Weiner courts voters in Harlem Thursday
- Queens businessman kidnapped and tortured
- Photos: Accuweather forecast in pictures
- Photos: Tornado damage in Oklahoma
- Photos: Top Pictures of the Week