Long Island News
Residents blame planes for holes in rooftops
VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (WABC) -- A mystery on Long Island has left at least two homes with large holes in the roof.
Homeowners think its blue ice falling from passing airplanes, but the FAA thinks otherwise.
"It sounded like a large boom," said Lois Farella, homeowner.
It was large enough to puncture a 15 inch hole in Lois Farella's roof on Home Street in Valley Stream.
Farella told Eyewitness News it was 3:25 a.m. on Sunday when she and her 87-year-old husband were in bed.
"And suddenly, we heard a noise, both of us, and sat up, and said, 'What was that?' and we didn't know," Farella said.
Apparently the FAA doesn't know either.
They came out to inspect the hole Tuesday, and on the house next door they examined a smaller hole in the very top of Anne-Marie Grace's roof.
"I'm very frustrated after I spoke with them. I feel they're just going through the motions," Grace said.
There's no doubt this neighborhood sits in a flight path, so residents assume the holes are from blue ice, fluid leaking from an airplane's bathroom.
But, the FAA tells Eyewitness News that they found no evidence of blue fluid there and that at 3:25 a.m. Sunday the nearest plane overhead was three miles from these homes.
Residents remain un-convinced.
After all, just last Friday an airplane door the size of a refrigerator smashed down on a neighborhood street in Washington State.
Back in May, a door from a small plane landed itself on a Miami golf course.
Now, Farella says she needs a new roof.
"Something to deal with," Farella said.
Exactly what that something is, is the question.
"Why can't it happen again? What's going to stop it?" Grace asked.
Even if it were blue ice, the FAA says it wouldn't affect the air-worthiness of any airplane. The residents in the area believe it affects their safety and that's why, they want some sort of real answer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, valley stream, faa, long island news, stacey sager
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 1 winning ticket sold for record Powerball jackpot
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos