Long Island News
Residents blame planes for holes in rooftops
VALLEY STREAM, N.Y. (WABC) -- A mystery on Long Island has left at least two homes with large holes in the roof.
Homeowners think its blue ice falling from passing airplanes, but the FAA thinks otherwise.
"It sounded like a large boom," said Lois Farella, homeowner.
It was large enough to puncture a 15 inch hole in Lois Farella's roof on Home Street in Valley Stream.
Farella told Eyewitness News it was 3:25 a.m. on Sunday when she and her 87-year-old husband were in bed.
"And suddenly, we heard a noise, both of us, and sat up, and said, 'What was that?' and we didn't know," Farella said.
Apparently the FAA doesn't know either.
They came out to inspect the hole Tuesday, and on the house next door they examined a smaller hole in the very top of Anne-Marie Grace's roof.
"I'm very frustrated after I spoke with them. I feel they're just going through the motions," Grace said.
There's no doubt this neighborhood sits in a flight path, so residents assume the holes are from blue ice, fluid leaking from an airplane's bathroom.
But, the FAA tells Eyewitness News that they found no evidence of blue fluid there and that at 3:25 a.m. Sunday the nearest plane overhead was three miles from these homes.
Residents remain un-convinced.
After all, just last Friday an airplane door the size of a refrigerator smashed down on a neighborhood street in Washington State.
Back in May, a door from a small plane landed itself on a Miami golf course.
Now, Farella says she needs a new roof.
"Something to deal with," Farella said.
Exactly what that something is, is the question.
"Why can't it happen again? What's going to stop it?" Grace asked.
Even if it were blue ice, the FAA says it wouldn't affect the air-worthiness of any airplane. The residents in the area believe it affects their safety and that's why, they want some sort of real answer.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, valley stream, faa, long island news, stacey sager
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 32 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school 42 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 9 min ago
- Water line floods three Midtown building...
59 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos