Long Island News
Man who tried to snatch baby from mother arrested
ROOSEVELT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have arreasted a man they say tried to snatch a 4-month-old baby from his mother's arms.
Serge Delaleu, 41, is charged with menacing and endangering the welfare of a child after he allegedly approached the 24-year-old woman on Nassau Road near West Centennial Avenue just after 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
Police say he spit in her face and began yelling and swinging his legs in a kicking motion toward her. The victim, holding her baby, said the man unsuccessfully tried to grab her baby. She then ran from the scene as Delaleu fled on foot southbound Nassau Road.
After an investigation, detectives arrested Delaleu in Freeport after he was taken into custody for an unrelated incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, attempted abduction, long island news
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 12 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
12 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos