Long Island News
Man who tried to snatch baby from mother arrested
ROOSEVELT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have arreasted a man they say tried to snatch a 4-month-old baby from his mother's arms.
Serge Delaleu, 41, is charged with menacing and endangering the welfare of a child after he allegedly approached the 24-year-old woman on Nassau Road near West Centennial Avenue just after 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
Police say he spit in her face and began yelling and swinging his legs in a kicking motion toward her. The victim, holding her baby, said the man unsuccessfully tried to grab her baby. She then ran from the scene as Delaleu fled on foot southbound Nassau Road.
After an investigation, detectives arrested Delaleu in Freeport after he was taken into custody for an unrelated incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, attempted abduction, long island news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 46 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms 59 min ago
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 37 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 11 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital