Long Island News
Man who tried to snatch baby from mother arrested
ROOSEVELT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have arreasted a man they say tried to snatch a 4-month-old baby from his mother's arms.
Serge Delaleu, 41, is charged with menacing and endangering the welfare of a child after he allegedly approached the 24-year-old woman on Nassau Road near West Centennial Avenue just after 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
Police say he spit in her face and began yelling and swinging his legs in a kicking motion toward her. The victim, holding her baby, said the man unsuccessfully tried to grab her baby. She then ran from the scene as Delaleu fled on foot southbound Nassau Road.
After an investigation, detectives arrested Delaleu in Freeport after he was taken into custody for an unrelated incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, attempted abduction, long island news
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 35 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing 19 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- $353 million up for grabs in Mega Millions drawing Friday