Long Island News
Man who tried to snatch baby from mother arrested
ROOSEVELT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have arreasted a man they say tried to snatch a 4-month-old baby from his mother's arms.
Serge Delaleu, 41, is charged with menacing and endangering the welfare of a child after he allegedly approached the 24-year-old woman on Nassau Road near West Centennial Avenue just after 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
Police say he spit in her face and began yelling and swinging his legs in a kicking motion toward her. The victim, holding her baby, said the man unsuccessfully tried to grab her baby. She then ran from the scene as Delaleu fled on foot southbound Nassau Road.
After an investigation, detectives arrested Delaleu in Freeport after he was taken into custody for an unrelated incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, attempted abduction, long island news
- Young child shot in foot in the Bronx 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break repaired 56 min ago
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 32 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 11 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 34 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 6 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
11 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos