Long Island News
Man who tried to snatch baby from mother arrested
ROOSEVELT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have arreasted a man they say tried to snatch a 4-month-old baby from his mother's arms.
Serge Delaleu, 41, is charged with menacing and endangering the welfare of a child after he allegedly approached the 24-year-old woman on Nassau Road near West Centennial Avenue just after 1 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
Police say he spit in her face and began yelling and swinging his legs in a kicking motion toward her. The victim, holding her baby, said the man unsuccessfully tried to grab her baby. She then ran from the scene as Delaleu fled on foot southbound Nassau Road.
After an investigation, detectives arrested Delaleu in Freeport after he was taken into custody for an unrelated incident.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, attempted abduction, long island news
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend 31 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 33 min ago
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon 12 min ago
- 2 killed, 1 missing in upstate New York plane crash
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Teen questioned in Queens bus shooting released
- Amanda Bynes speaks out about arrest
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse