Long Island News
Professor suspended over Colorado shootings joke
KINGS POINT -- A professor at the United States Merchant Marine Academy in New York who faced dismissal for joking about the Colorado movie theater shootings has been suspended for 45 days instead.
Gregory F. Sullivan was showing students a documentary when he said: "If someone with orange hair appears in the corner of the room, run for the exit."
Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes has dyed bright orange hair.
The professor had just turned down the lights when he made the remark.
The father of one of his students was among the 12 people killed in the July 20 shooting.
The New York Times reports Long Island school said the decision to suspend Sullivan was made after careful review of all information.
Sullivan has apologized for the remark.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane 22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Queens hit and run 12 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search continues for Malaysia Airlines plane
22 min ago