Long Island News
Middle East crisis leads to extra temple security
ROCKVILLE CENTRE, N.Y. (WABC) -- The crisis in the Middle East is causing concern at a time when security in our area is heightened anyway: the beginning of the Jewish High Holidays.
Rosh Hashanah begins sundown Sunday.
At Temple Banai Shalom in Rockville Centre the finishing touches are being made for the High Holiday season which begins Sunday with Rosh Hashanah.
But outside, a different duty was informing the public that more police will be patrolling synagogues throughout Nassau County.
"At their late hour before the eve of the holiday we're typically sharing jokes and ideas. Look what we're doing here today it's tough," said Anchelle Pearl, Chabad of Mineola.
"There has not been specific threat here in Nassau County, but unfortunately in these times we must be prepared," said Ed Mangano, Nassau County Executive.
Officials cited the growing unrest overseas as yet another reminder that being prepared is always good.
So during this Jewish holiday season, there will be more Nassau police officers both in uniform and undercover patrolling around synagogues.
"There's a definite concern considering everything that's going on in the world right now," said Rachel Guinsburg, Valley Stream resident.
But it's not just this. Those with the Nassau County Police Department have been meeting with all religious leaders in the county training them on what to do if their houses of worship come under attack.
"We're also working with the local state and federal authorities including the terrorist task force and homeland security on a daily basis to evaluate threats to the community," said Thomas Dale, Nassau County Police Commissioner.
So with the prayers this holiday season, Jewish leaders will also be reminding their members that if they see something they should say something.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, holiday season, long island news, kristin thorne
- LIRR restored with delays after person struck 9 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash 21 min ago
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 57 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NYC home invasion robbery suspects caught on camera 40 min ago
- Queens attempted luring suspect taken into custody 3 min ago
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat 24 min ago
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
57 min ago