Long Island News
DA: Woman charged in car through home wasn't driver
HUNTINGTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Authorities on Long Island have dismissed drunken driving charges against a 21-year-old Brooklyn woman who was arrested after the car she was in plowed through a Huntington home and instead charged her boyfriend.
Sophia Anderson had fresh cuts still all over her face from the accident back in May when she was arrested.
She stood under the glare of more than a dozen cameras.
Now, prosecutors say it wasn't Anderson but 24-year-old Daniel Sajewski who was drunk behind the wheel of his parents Mercedes when he went careening right through a home in Huntington.
He narrowly missed 96-year-old Helen Indiere and her elderly sister who were sleeping.
Anderson's attorney John LoTurco says Anderson took the blame for Sajewski because she loved him.
"He manipulated her, he promised her things, he promised her false love," LoTurco said.
LoTurco says at the accident scene, Sajewski already facing numerous drug charges, begged Anderson to say she was the driver and even to take the breathalyzer.
"He promised to bail her out immediately, to pay for a vacation for her," LoTurco said.
But LoTurco says when Sajewski didn't bail her out, that's when Anderson came forward with the truth.
"We will be dismissing the DWI charge still pending against her in district court in the next few days," Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said.
Now Sajewski is being charged with DWI, reckless endangerment and conspiracy.
"We had no idea that this indictment even existed until last night so we haven't had a chance to really review the allegations or conduct our own investigation," said Carl Benincasa, Sajewski's attorney.
As for Indiere you can tell she is just overwhelmed by all this.
She and her sister still haven't been able to move back into their house.
"It's very stressful for them, rightfully so. Their routine is upset, their lifestyle is just so out of whack, and we're looking forward to getting them back home," said Gina Anjevine, Indiere's granddaughter.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, huntington, long island news, kristin thorne
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run 20 min ago
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87 33 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall