Long Island News
Woman speaks out about car through home accident
HUNTINGTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- The Long Island woman arrested for driving a car into a home, but who authorities now say was not behind the wheel, is speaking out for the first time about what happened.
"I feel betrayed by a man who I was in love with and lived with for two years," Sophia Anderson said
Anderson, through tears, read from a prepared statement. Her father and mother stood supportively behind her.
Anderson's appearance is a far cry from when we saw her back in May just after she was arrested, still with cuts all over her face from the accident.
Prosecutors revealed yesterday that it was Anderson's ex-boyfriend Daniel Sajewski who was drunk behind the wheel.
Anderson, 21, was passed out in the passenger's seat when the car went careening through a house in Huntington.
"I specifically remember Dan removing me from the car after the crash and asking me to tell police that I was the driver," she said. "He told me the authorities would treat me lightly as a first time offender that he would post bail for me."
But Sajewski didn't so until two days after the accident. In jail, Anderson told her parents she wasn't the driver.
Anderson also apologized today to 96 year old Helen Indiere and her sister. They were sleeping when the car ripped through their home.
"I am now in counseling to deal with my alcohol issues. Found new employment and moved back under the supportive care of my parents," Anderson said.
Authorities on Long Island have dismissed the drunk driving charges against the Brooklyn woman.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, suffolk county, huntington, accident, long island news, kristin thorne
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar 15 min ago
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 32 min ago
- 'Fake' interpreter says he was hallucinating at Mandela event 45 min ago
- Baby it's cold outside!
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday 34 min ago
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos