Long Island News
Man accused of leaving 2-year old alone in parking lot
MASSAPEQUA, L.I. -- Authorities say a Long Island man who had taken prescription medication left his 2-year-old daughter in the parking lot of a shopping center for more than an hour.
An off-duty New York City police officer saw the child alone around 10:20 a.m. Saturday in the parking lot of Carmans Plaza on Carmans Road in Massapequa.
Police said the child's 37-year-old father came back to the scene and couldn't remember where he had left the girl.
Authorities said he was observed in a delusional state, and had an accelerated heart rate.
He was admitted to the hospital, and is facing a charge of endangering the welfare of a child.
The girl was evaluated at the hospital and released to her mother.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, massapequa, child endangerment, long island news
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- Wintry mix causes slick roads, massive pileup
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Nelson Mandela memorial set for Tuesday in Soweto
- No tailgating to be allowed at NY/NJ Super Bowl
- Newtown families create website to honor Sandy Hook victims
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash