Long Island News
Child run over jumping from carjacked vehicle
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A Long Island man is under arrest, accused of running over a child with the car he was trying to steal.
Investigators say 52-year-old Asburn Neysmith jumped into a car through its rear, passenger-side window Monday in Hempstead, landing on a 6-year-old girl in the back seat.
Neysmith then demanded the vehicle and got into the front passenger seat, while forcing the 31-year-old female driver out of the car.
Neysmith attempted to drive off, and as he did, the woman's 12-year-old son attempted to jump from the back seat of the car.
The fleeing boy's legs were run over, causing injuries to both of his ankles. The girl suffered a leg injury.
A group of bystanders blocked the vehicle and held Neysmith until police arrived.
The victims were transported by Village of Hempstead Police to a local area hospital for treatment of their injuries.
Neysmith is being charged with three counts of second-degree robbery, two counts of second-degree assault and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, hempstead, carjacking, child injured, long island news
- Residents warned to look out for black ice
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots! 54 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Avonte's mother continues search with new headquarters
- Limited 7 train service on entire line
- Tourist who lost leg in taxi crash sues city
- Fire inside the Marriott Marquis in Times Square
- Man struck and killed by car on LIE
- Flu shots could be mandatory for NYC kids
- Photos: Nelson Mandela Memorial Service
- Photos: Viewer snow storm pictures
- WestJet plays Santa to 250 lucky passengers
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- AccuWeather: Still Some Slick Spots!
54 min ago