Long Island News
Northwestern student from Long Island goes missing
NEW HYDE PARK, N.Y. (WABC) -- The FBI has joined the search for a college student from Long Island who disappeared over the weekend.
His desperate parents flew from their home in New Hyde Park to Chicago, where 18-year-old Harsha Maddula goes to school, to help with the search.
Maddula hasn't been seen since a party early Saturday morning.
The pre-med student is a sophomore at Northwestern University.
Police there were notified when he didn't show up for a meeting. By Monday, his parents called police themselves.
"I don't know after the party what happened to him, and nobody can find him and nobody can trace him," dad Prasad Maddula said. "I am still surprised why they cannot trace him."
Authorities say it is a frustrating search because there just isn't a lot of evidence.
There has been no activity on Maddula's cell phone, he didn't use his dorm key and he doesn't appear anywhere on surveillance video.
And even with that, his parents say there's no way he simply walked away.
"No, absolutely not, 200 percent sure," mom Dhannalakshmi Maddula said. "He just came Wednesday over here to help first year students. Classes start this Thursday, but he wants to help. He's a very helping boy and he's so good. I don't know what happened."
He was excited, his parents say, to help incoming freshman get acclimated to the campus.
He is described as studious and responsible. He is also diabetic.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, missing person, new hyde park, long island news, lisa colagrossi
- Malaysia Airlines plane vanishes with 239 aboard
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ