Long Island News
North Merrick church break-in under investigation
NORTH MERRICK (WABC) -- Parishioners did not expect to see a crime scene when they arrived at Sacred Heart Church in North Merrick on Wednesday.
Police are trying to figure out who broke into the pastoral center sometime overnight and stole an unspecified amount of money.
However, it wasn't just the pastoral center that someone allegedly broke into. Police say someone also broke into the old Sacred Heart Elementary School building.
The building has been abandoned for the past few months, and it is unclear exactly what was taken.
It is unclear how the suspect or suspects got into the buildings, and whether they broke in or not.
The pastor of sacred heart wouldn't speak with Eyewitness News - neither would those at the diocese of Rockville Centre.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, burglary, long island news, kristin thorne
- Firefighters sent to wrong location in Jersey City fire
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: Jersey City row home fire
- 2 firefighters injured in Bronx bodega fire
- Possible 'knockout' attack victim speaks out 5 min ago
- Brooklyn school officials face discipline for not reporting...
- Search for owner of severely malnourished dog 25 min ago
- Cars burglarized at gyms in Wyckoff and Ridgewood
- Man speaks about shooting would-be burglar
- FDNY battery giveaway for smoke, CO detectors
- Photos: Mariano Rivera's career in pictures
- Spinning class and karaoke all in one
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos