Long Island News
Officer fires at armed parolee on Long Island
WADING RIVER (WABC) -- A violent ex-convict is facing drug and weapons charges after police gunfire erupted inside his Long Island home Tuesday.
Thomas Michael Counihan, 60, is now being held in a Suffolk County psychiatric unit.
He allegedly pointed a gun at drug enforcement officers searching his Wading River home Tuesday night.
Officers had gone to the home to discussed a missed meeting when Counihan reportedly admitted he had marijuana. A police search uncovered 250 packets of heroin, two ounces of cocaine and unlabeled prescription bottles.
Counihan allegedly displayed a loaded Colt .45, pointing it at himself and then turning it on the officers.
Prosecutors say one officer fired at Counihan, but missed.
Authorities recovered Counihan's gun, as well as the drugs, from his home.
He is expected to be charged when he's released from the hospital.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, wading river, police shooting, long island news
- 4 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 32 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 33 min ago
- Water main eyed in East Harlem gas explosion 16 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Roof blows off Mount Olive Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Haverstraw condo complex evacuated due to gas leak
- Major delays on NJ Transit after Newark tanker explosion 29 min ago
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Suspect in terrifying Brooklyn sex assault caught on camera
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- Alleged drunk driver rams crowd, kills 2 at SXSW in Texas