Long Island News
Officer fires at armed parolee on Long Island
WADING RIVER (WABC) -- A violent ex-convict is facing drug and weapons charges after police gunfire erupted inside his Long Island home Tuesday.
Thomas Michael Counihan, 60, is now being held in a Suffolk County psychiatric unit.
He allegedly pointed a gun at drug enforcement officers searching his Wading River home Tuesday night.
Officers had gone to the home to discussed a missed meeting when Counihan reportedly admitted he had marijuana. A police search uncovered 250 packets of heroin, two ounces of cocaine and unlabeled prescription bottles.
Counihan allegedly displayed a loaded Colt .45, pointing it at himself and then turning it on the officers.
Prosecutors say one officer fired at Counihan, but missed.
Authorities recovered Counihan's gun, as well as the drugs, from his home.
He is expected to be charged when he's released from the hospital.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, wading river, police shooting, long island news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- Winning numbers drawn in Powerball jackpot
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos