Long Island News
Hempstead man convicted of murder in car crash
MINEOLA, L.I. -- A New York jury has convicted a driver of murder and other charges. Prosecutors say he ran eight stop signs and six stop lights before crashing into another car and killing its driver.
Lloyd Williams of Hempstead faces 25 years in prison when he is sentenced Nov. 16.
It is only the third time since 2005 that Nassau County prosecutors have convicted a driver of murder involving a car crash.
Newsday (http://bit.ly/Si6nYv ) reports that Williams' lawyer argued his client had been fleeing a June 2011 bar fight where gunshots were fired.
Prosecutors countered his actions showed a depraved indifference to human life. They also say had three times the legal limit of alcohol, and marijuana, in his blood.
Defense attorney Joseph Lo Piccolo said he intends to appeal the verdict.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, trial, murder, long island news
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up 17 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime 28 min ago
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million
- Suspect identified in fatal Hofstra home invasion 53 min ago
- FBI searches apartment in ricin letter case
- Video: Marine, dog reunited in surprise ceremony
- Orb trainer fights nerves at Preakness
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
17 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos