Long Island News
Child-care provider arrested for leaving kids in car
MELVILLE (WABC) -- A Long Island child-care provider is under arrest, accused of leaving two young girls that were not hers locked in a parked car.
Police say 49-year-old Bridget Erwat was taken into custody after a passerby noticed a 4-year-old and an 8-month-old in her car in a Costco parking lot in Melville just after 2 p.m.
The Good Samaritan unlocked a door through an open window and took the children into the store for safety.
It appears that the girls were in the unattended vehicle a minimum of 10 minutes before they were found.
Erwat runs the child-care center Bridget's Children's Place out of her Amityville home.
She is charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Neither girl was hurt.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, melville, amityville, long island news
- 4 dead, 280 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 29 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members 9 min ago
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 12 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT 27 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos