Long Island News
Child-care provider arrested for leaving kids in car
MELVILLE (WABC) -- A Long Island child-care provider is under arrest, accused of leaving two young girls that were not hers locked in a parked car.
Police say 49-year-old Bridget Erwat was taken into custody after a passerby noticed a 4-year-old and an 8-month-old in her car in a Costco parking lot in Melville just after 2 p.m.
The Good Samaritan unlocked a door through an open window and took the children into the store for safety.
It appears that the girls were in the unattended vehicle a minimum of 10 minutes before they were found.
Erwat runs the child-care center Bridget's Children's Place out of her Amityville home.
She is charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Neither girl was hurt.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, melville, amityville, long island news
- Massive forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise 15 min ago
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Heroin antidote Narcan saves 6 in Ocean County
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Baby monitors batteries recalled over burn hazard
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx...
15 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos