Long Island News
Child-care provider arrested for leaving kids in car
MELVILLE (WABC) -- A Long Island child-care provider is under arrest, accused of leaving two young girls that were not hers locked in a parked car.
Police say 49-year-old Bridget Erwat was taken into custody after a passerby noticed a 4-year-old and an 8-month-old in her car in a Costco parking lot in Melville just after 2 p.m.
The Good Samaritan unlocked a door through an open window and took the children into the store for safety.
It appears that the girls were in the unattended vehicle a minimum of 10 minutes before they were found.
Erwat runs the child-care center Bridget's Children's Place out of her Amityville home.
She is charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Neither girl was hurt.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, melville, amityville, long island news
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus 33 min ago
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Official: 'Amazing' no one died in train crash
- Police say fatal Greenwich Village shooting a hate crime
- 2 win Mega Millions, Powerball jumps to $600 million 15 min ago
- Oxbow wins the Preakness Stakes
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6 10 min ago
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos