Long Island News
Child-care provider arrested for leaving kids in car
MELVILLE (WABC) -- A Long Island child-care provider is under arrest, accused of leaving two young girls that were not hers locked in a parked car.
Police say 49-year-old Bridget Erwat was taken into custody after a passerby noticed a 4-year-old and an 8-month-old in her car in a Costco parking lot in Melville just after 2 p.m.
The Good Samaritan unlocked a door through an open window and took the children into the store for safety.
It appears that the girls were in the unattended vehicle a minimum of 10 minutes before they were found.
Erwat runs the child-care center Bridget's Children's Place out of her Amityville home.
She is charged with endangering the welfare of a child.
Neither girl was hurt.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, melville, amityville, long island news
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved in breach 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 10 hurt when NJ Transit bus, cab collide in Newark
- Photos: Bus, taxi collide in Newark
- Annual 'Pokey,' 'Schleppie' awards for MTA bus service
- Rangel announces run for 23rd term
- Jersey City main breaks; boil water advisory in effect 37 min ago
- US-India relations chilled over diplomat arrest in NYC
- Screw Magazine publisher Al Goldstein dies at 77
- Georgia winner of Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- Most Fascinating People of 2013 revealed
- Photos: Most Fascinating People of 2013
- Target: 40 million accounts may be involved...
2 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos