Long Island News
Nassau County cop critical after being struck by car
ATLANTIC BEACH (WABC) -- A Nassau County police officer is listed in critical but stable condition after getting hit by a car near the Atlantic Beach Bridge in Lawrence Tuesday.
A 2004 Audi struck the 57-year-old officer around 11:35 on Tuesday morning, authorities said. The 29-year veteran was conducting a checkpoint on Route 878 at the time.
He sustained multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, fractured pelvis, fractured right leg and massive internal bleeding. He was airlifted to a local hospital by the Nassau County Police Aviation Unit.
He underwent surgery and remains in critical condition.
A 43-year-old man was behind the wheel of the Audi, police said. A 20-year-old woman and 9-year-old boy were passengers in the Audi, but no one in that vehicle was hurt.
The driver stayed at the scene and is not expected to be charged.
The investigation is ongoing, and the Audi was impounded for a safety inspection.
No names were released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, atlantic beach, accident, long island news
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 13 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Man dies in scuffle with police outside Bronx bodega 42 min ago
- Woman thrown from motorcycle, hit by cab on Belt 1 min ago
- 3 slashed during disupte in Morningside Heights 29 min ago
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Upstate NY men accused of trying to make X-ray weapon
- Body found near Patriot's home was homicide victim
- Whistle-blower taped guards sleeping at JFK airport
- Photos: James Gandolfini through the years 55 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos