Long Island News
Nassau County cop critical after being struck by car
ATLANTIC BEACH (WABC) -- A Nassau County police officer is listed in critical but stable condition after getting hit by a car near the Atlantic Beach Bridge in Lawrence Tuesday.
A 2004 Audi struck the 57-year-old officer around 11:35 on Tuesday morning, authorities said. The 29-year veteran was conducting a checkpoint on Route 878 at the time.
He sustained multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, fractured pelvis, fractured right leg and massive internal bleeding. He was airlifted to a local hospital by the Nassau County Police Aviation Unit.
He underwent surgery and remains in critical condition.
A 43-year-old man was behind the wheel of the Audi, police said. A 20-year-old woman and 9-year-old boy were passengers in the Audi, but no one in that vehicle was hurt.
The driver stayed at the scene and is not expected to be charged.
The investigation is ongoing, and the Audi was impounded for a safety inspection.
No names were released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, atlantic beach, accident, long island news
- Guinness to drop sponsorship of NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 36 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 42 min ago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 44 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA men's basketball tournament 28 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 39 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
36 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos