Long Island News
Nassau County cop critical after being struck by car
ATLANTIC BEACH (WABC) -- A Nassau County police officer is listed in critical but stable condition after getting hit by a car near the Atlantic Beach Bridge in Lawrence Tuesday.
A 2004 Audi struck the 57-year-old officer around 11:35 on Tuesday morning, authorities said. The 29-year veteran was conducting a checkpoint on Route 878 at the time.
He sustained multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, fractured pelvis, fractured right leg and massive internal bleeding. He was airlifted to a local hospital by the Nassau County Police Aviation Unit.
He underwent surgery and remains in critical condition.
A 43-year-old man was behind the wheel of the Audi, police said. A 20-year-old woman and 9-year-old boy were passengers in the Audi, but no one in that vehicle was hurt.
The driver stayed at the scene and is not expected to be charged.
The investigation is ongoing, and the Audi was impounded for a safety inspection.
No names were released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, atlantic beach, accident, long island news
- Islam at center of 9/11 Memorial criticism
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool 16 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Boy found dead on building scaffolding in Bronx
- Yanks pitcher Pineda ejected for substance on neck
- Police search for arson suspect in Brooklyn
- Elderly couple hurt in Queens home invasion
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Gunfire in Central Islip after drug deal goes bad
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos