Long Island News
Nassau County cop critical after being struck by car
ATLANTIC BEACH (WABC) -- A Nassau County police officer is listed in critical but stable condition after getting hit by a car near the Atlantic Beach Bridge in Lawrence Tuesday.
A 2004 Audi struck the 57-year-old officer around 11:35 on Tuesday morning, authorities said. The 29-year veteran was conducting a checkpoint on Route 878 at the time.
He sustained multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, fractured pelvis, fractured right leg and massive internal bleeding. He was airlifted to a local hospital by the Nassau County Police Aviation Unit.
He underwent surgery and remains in critical condition.
A 43-year-old man was behind the wheel of the Audi, police said. A 20-year-old woman and 9-year-old boy were passengers in the Audi, but no one in that vehicle was hurt.
The driver stayed at the scene and is not expected to be charged.
The investigation is ongoing, and the Audi was impounded for a safety inspection.
No names were released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, atlantic beach, accident, long island news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 13 min ago
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 5 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
5 min ago