Long Island News
Nassau County cop critical after being struck by car
ATLANTIC BEACH (WABC) -- A Nassau County police officer is listed in critical but stable condition after getting hit by a car near the Atlantic Beach Bridge in Lawrence Tuesday.
A 2004 Audi struck the 57-year-old officer around 11:35 on Tuesday morning, authorities said. The 29-year veteran was conducting a checkpoint on Route 878 at the time.
He sustained multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, fractured pelvis, fractured right leg and massive internal bleeding. He was airlifted to a local hospital by the Nassau County Police Aviation Unit.
He underwent surgery and remains in critical condition.
A 43-year-old man was behind the wheel of the Audi, police said. A 20-year-old woman and 9-year-old boy were passengers in the Audi, but no one in that vehicle was hurt.
The driver stayed at the scene and is not expected to be charged.
The investigation is ongoing, and the Audi was impounded for a safety inspection.
No names were released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, nassau county, atlantic beach, accident, long island news
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
- AccuWeather: Windy and cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center 16 min ago
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos 15 min ago
- Video shows burglar cashing in lotto tickets in Queens
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin 6 min ago
- New clue in search for Brooklyn carjacking suspect
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- Suspect in Myls Dobson murder due in court
- New York City pre-K signups end on Wednesday 4 min ago
- Hoax sends SWAT teams rushing to Long Beach house
- 13-year-old shooting victim released from hospital
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ...
16 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos