Long Island News
Long Island man arrested for stealing heating oil
MASTIC (WABC) -- A New Jersey man is under arrest and facing criminal charges, accused of stealing heating oil from Long Island homes.
Police say Robert Bailey syphoned the oil from foreclosed homes in Mastic Beach.
He allegedly pumped the oil from the empty homes into a rented truck.
Investigators say he planned to sell the oil - the truck held more than 1,200 gallons of it - it through websites.
Prosecutors say that because the houses are in foreclosure and owned by the bank, it is unclear if the property owners will file charges against Bailey.
But the town has filed charges, including illegal transportation and not having HazMat placards on the truck.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, mastic, theft, long island news, jim dolan
- Jersey City water main break repaired 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead 22 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 27 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 22 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
22 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
22 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos