Long Island News
Saddle Rock mayor attacked after village meeting
SADDLE ROCK (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are investigating the an apparent politically-motivated assault involving the mayor of a small village.
The incident follows a long-standing disagreement between the two, and things got out of control Wednesday night.
Police say 32-year-old Sasha Masri, who lost a race for village trustee last March, confronted Levy and hit him in the face with a set of keys. Authorities say he threw Levy into a bench, fracturing his left shoulder. Levy also suffered cuts to his face.
"I can't sit I can't stand up and frankly I'm in pain 24 hours a day," Levy said.
Masri, who left the scene, was arrested early Thursday morning. He reportedly had narcotics in his possession at the time of his arrest. He faces several charges, including assault and possession of a dangerous weapon.
Marsi was released Friday morning on $750 bail.
Despite his arrest, Masri says it was all in self defense and that Levy attacked him first, putting him in a choke-hold.
"I'm hurt. I'm hurt obviously there was an altercation. I've had a couple days to rest and I'm feeling a little better," Masri said.
"The mayor actually punched him and was on top of him on top of his back and was trying to really hurt him," Masri's attorney Meir Moza said.
Levy responded to the allegations, dismissing them as ridiculous.
"I absolutely don't have a reason to attack a resident," he said. "You can ask each and every person in this village, except for him of course, and they will tell you than I do nothing but help them and take care of this village."
The judge issued a restraining order, telling Masri that he cannot have any contact with Levy.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, assault, long island news
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination 25 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap 1 min ago
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- LI hospital warns of possible blood...
25 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos