Long Island News
Grace Lee decides to remain on life support
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In a dramatic reversal, Eyewitness News has learned exclusively that Grace Lee has acquiesced to her parents' wishes and has declared that she no longer wishes to be disconnected from life-support at North Shore Hospital.
This comes after the patient's deeply religious parents waged a legal battle to keep their daughter alive.
Lee's lawyer says that the 28-year-old, who suffers from brain cancer, has changed her mind because she wants to, "make peace with my God" The parents appeal has been denied and Grace Lee has been found competent to make her own medical decisions.
That question has been the subject of court hearings on Long Island.
Lee has been on a ventilator since a stroke last month that left her paralyzed from the neck down. She has been battling cancer since last year.
Her deeply religious parents were trying to stop her from removing the respirator, saying her death would be suicide, and would prevent her from going to heaven.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, long island news, n.j. burkett
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- Third grader hit and killed by truck, driver charged
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials 14 min ago
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil Robertson's hiatus 21 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall