Long Island News
Grace Lee decides to remain on life support
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In a dramatic reversal, Eyewitness News has learned exclusively that Grace Lee has acquiesced to her parents' wishes and has declared that she no longer wishes to be disconnected from life-support at North Shore Hospital.
This comes after the patient's deeply religious parents waged a legal battle to keep their daughter alive.
Lee's lawyer says that the 28-year-old, who suffers from brain cancer, has changed her mind because she wants to, "make peace with my God" The parents appeal has been denied and Grace Lee has been found competent to make her own medical decisions.
That question has been the subject of court hearings on Long Island.
Lee has been on a ventilator since a stroke last month that left her paralyzed from the neck down. She has been battling cancer since last year.
Her deeply religious parents were trying to stop her from removing the respirator, saying her death would be suicide, and would prevent her from going to heaven.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, long island news, n.j. burkett
- weather: AccuTrack Interactive Radar
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Bethpage Air Show cancelled for Saturday due to weather 7 min ago
- Man accused of DWI with 6-year old daughter in car 17 min ago
- 2 killed, 1 missing after small plane crashes in upstate New York 10 min ago
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Amanda Bynes released after court appearance
- Bridge collapse calls into question other bridges' safety
- abcnews: Cleveland Women Can Keep Captor's Dogs
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- Photos: I-5 Skagit River Bridge collapse