Long Island News
Grace Lee decides to remain on life support
NEW YORK (WABC) -- In a dramatic reversal, Eyewitness News has learned exclusively that Grace Lee has acquiesced to her parents' wishes and has declared that she no longer wishes to be disconnected from life-support at North Shore Hospital.
This comes after the patient's deeply religious parents waged a legal battle to keep their daughter alive.
Lee's lawyer says that the 28-year-old, who suffers from brain cancer, has changed her mind because she wants to, "make peace with my God" The parents appeal has been denied and Grace Lee has been found competent to make her own medical decisions.
That question has been the subject of court hearings on Long Island.
Lee has been on a ventilator since a stroke last month that left her paralyzed from the neck down. She has been battling cancer since last year.
Her deeply religious parents were trying to stop her from removing the respirator, saying her death would be suicide, and would prevent her from going to heaven.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
new york city, long island news, n.j. burkett
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 43 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 23 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC 4 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 17 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UConn sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing 3 min ago
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
21 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
23 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
17 min ago