Long Island News
4 teens dead in Southern State Parkway crash
MALVERNE (WABC) -- The black Subaru was literally cut in half after slamming into a tree in the woods in Malverne.
The family of Chris Khan is preparing for what will be a painful service Wednesday morning at an Islamic burial and funeral home in South Ozone Park.
His family is asking a lot of questions about the crash and the teen who survived, the one who was driving.
Inside the Khan family home, they pray.
This devout Muslim Guyanese family is rallying around each other after losing their youngest son, 18-year-old Chris Khan who dreamed of going to college to become an accountant.
"It's very unfortunate that the laws that govern children driving, the state of New York needs to take a second look at that," said Isaac Chowrimootoo, the victim's uncle.
"Not all angry. He's young, and he made mistake, and it doesn't matter if I'm angry at him because he's going to have to pay for it in his own way," said Anessa Thomas, the victim's cousin.
Anessa Thomas is talking about 17-year-old Joseph Beer who was driving a high performance Subaru Impreza before losing control and crashing into several trees early Monday morning along the Southern State Parkway.
After the crash, investigators say Beer, who only had a Learner's Permit and should not have been driving at that hour with his buddies, got out and walked around his brand new car which had been cut into two.
His friends from the neighborhood, 17-year-old Neal Rajapa, 18-year-old Chris Khan, 18-year-old Peter Kanhai, and 18-year-old Darian Ramnarine were all dead.
"One survived, but his life is going to be totally different now," Thomas said.
"We're hopeful that as a result of these kids losing their lives, it will help other kids in the future," Chowrimootoo said.
Joseph Beer is still in the hospital being treated for injuries sustained in the crash.
So far no charges have been filed as this investigation moves forward.
In the meantime, four families prepare for funerals.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, malverne, long island news
- Young boy shot in foot in the Bronx
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Secret Service investigating Target data breach 36 min ago
- Jersey City water main break isolated; Water back on
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest
- Blind man and dog rescued will stay together
- O' Christmas tree, you're alive?! Student scares school 46 min ago
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos