Long Island News
Huge price increase for Huntington LIRR garage
HUNTINGTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Commuters in Huntington, Long Island are facing a huge increase in the cost to park inside the train station garages.
Huntington has a plan to raise that rate from $50 to $600 a year.
"I think it's preposterous," one commuter said.
"That is a tremendous increase," another commuter said.
Well, you can't really argue with that, but is it a good idea?
The garages, there are two of them and 1,900 spaces in all, are in need of $4 million in repairs.
Rather than send taxes through the roof, the current plan is to make commuters parking rates go through the roof.
The $600 figure applies only to the garage, the price of the adjacent lots would go up from $50 to $75.
For those who do choose the garage, the new plan would guarantee the owner a parking spot every day, right now its first come, first served.
But nobody seems to have much faith in that idea.
"I think it would be hard to enforce," a commuter said.
Still, most people Eyewitness News spoke to said they would pay it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, huntington, parking, long island news, jim dolan
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall