Long Island News
Huge price increase for Huntington LIRR garage
HUNTINGTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Commuters in Huntington, Long Island are facing a huge increase in the cost to park inside the train station garages.
Huntington has a plan to raise that rate from $50 to $600 a year.
"I think it's preposterous," one commuter said.
"That is a tremendous increase," another commuter said.
Well, you can't really argue with that, but is it a good idea?
The garages, there are two of them and 1,900 spaces in all, are in need of $4 million in repairs.
Rather than send taxes through the roof, the current plan is to make commuters parking rates go through the roof.
The $600 figure applies only to the garage, the price of the adjacent lots would go up from $50 to $75.
For those who do choose the garage, the new plan would guarantee the owner a parking spot every day, right now its first come, first served.
But nobody seems to have much faith in that idea.
"I think it would be hard to enforce," a commuter said.
Still, most people Eyewitness News spoke to said they would pay it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, huntington, parking, long island news, jim dolan
- 4 people shot in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- ESPN: Phil Jackson signs with Knicks
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Workers remove rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing