Long Island News
Huge price increase for Huntington LIRR garage
HUNTINGTON, N.Y. (WABC) -- Commuters in Huntington, Long Island are facing a huge increase in the cost to park inside the train station garages.
Huntington has a plan to raise that rate from $50 to $600 a year.
"I think it's preposterous," one commuter said.
"That is a tremendous increase," another commuter said.
Well, you can't really argue with that, but is it a good idea?
The garages, there are two of them and 1,900 spaces in all, are in need of $4 million in repairs.
Rather than send taxes through the roof, the current plan is to make commuters parking rates go through the roof.
The $600 figure applies only to the garage, the price of the adjacent lots would go up from $50 to $75.
For those who do choose the garage, the new plan would guarantee the owner a parking spot every day, right now its first come, first served.
But nobody seems to have much faith in that idea.
"I think it would be hard to enforce," a commuter said.
Still, most people Eyewitness News spoke to said they would pay it.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, huntington, parking, long island news, jim dolan
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: March Roller Coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp closure begins
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Malaysian plane mystery continues
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Phil Jackson likely taking Knicks job, ESPN reports
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Photos: Weather whiplash