Long Island News
Slain cop to be laid to rest Saturday; 2nd arrest made
QUEENS (WABC) -- A Nassau County highway patrolman killed in the line of duty on the Cross Island Parkway will be laid to rest Saturday.
On Thursday night, hundreds of grieving officers lined up in Merrick at the wake for 29-year-old Arthur Lopez.
Lopez was shot and killed during a traffic stop in Bellerose earlier this week. Police say that after Darrell Fuller killed the officer, he allegedly murdered an innocent motorist, Raymond Facey, before stealing his car.
Fuller was charged with murder late Thursday morning. An alleged accomplice is also under arrest.
The second suspect was not accused in the killings, but possessed the murder weapon used in the killings, authorities said. Gerald Williams, 27, was held on two weapons possession counts by prosecutors in Queens.
A Nassau County criminal complaint said Fuller used a .09-mm semiautomatic to kill his two victims, and Queens prosecutors said one of the weapons Williams is accused of possessing was a .09-mm handgun.
About 50 police officers, most in uniform, stood in the courtroom and about 50 more filled the hallways during Fuller's initial appearance on Long Island. He did not enter a plea on two counts of first- degree murder, robbery and weapons charges.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, officer killed, nassau county, police officer killed, police officer shot, long island news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner 9 min ago
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered 59 min ago
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games 20 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 26-story fall from Bronx high-rise
- Carlstadt fire guts post office; 2 firefighters hurt
- Photos: Carlstadt post office fire
- Woman charged in fatal hit and run in Hempstead
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies in NYC
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos