Long Island News
Funeral on Long Island for police officer killed in shooting
BALDWIN, L.I. -- Mourners gathered on Long Island for the funeral of a Nassau County police officer killed in the line of duty.
The funeral mass for officer Arthur Lopez was being held Saturday at St. Christopher's Roman Catholic Church, in Baldwin.
Lopez was shot to death Tuesday after he pulled over a car he believed had been involved in a hit-and-run accident.
Police say that after Darrell Fuller killed the officer, he allegedly murdered an innocent motorist, Raymond Facey, before stealing his car.
Fuller was charged with murder late Thursday morning. An alleged accomplice is also under arrest.
The second suspect was not accused in the killings, but possessed the murder weapon used in the killings, authorities said. Gerald Williams, 27, was held on two weapons possession counts by prosecutors in Queens.
A Nassau County criminal complaint said Fuller used a .09-mm semiautomatic to kill his two victims, and Queens prosecutors said one of the weapons Williams is accused of possessing was a .09-mm handgun.
About 50 police officers, most in uniform, stood in the courtroom and about 50 more filled the hallways during Fuller's initial appearance on Long Island. He did not enter a plea on two counts of first- degree murder, robbery and weapons charges.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, baldwin, police officer killed, long island news
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Car dealer charged after selling Sandy-damaged vehicles
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Video: Two US astronauts set to spacewalk to fix ISS
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos