Long Island News
Driver exits moving car on Long Island highway
DIX HILLS, N.Y. -- Police say a driver fell or jumped out of his moving SUV on Long Island highway, seriously hurting himself while the car kept going on its own and crashed.
Suffolk County police say it's unclear why Christopher Wilson abruptly left or tumbled out of his Chevrolet Blazer around 1 p.m. Saturday on the eastbound side of the Long Island Expressway. He landed on the roadway just west of Exit 51 in Dix Hills but managed to escape being hit by any cars.
Police say the driverless SUV kept going for about another quarter-mile before slamming into a light post, veering onto the grass by the highway and hitting a couple of trees.
The 40-year-old Wilson was flown to Stony Brook University Hospital in serious condition. He's from Huntington Station.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, long island news
- At least 1 dead, 15 hurt in East Harlem explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 2 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site 7 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million