Long Island News
Driver exits moving car on Long Island highway
DIX HILLS, N.Y. -- Police say a driver fell or jumped out of his moving SUV on Long Island highway, seriously hurting himself while the car kept going on its own and crashed.
Suffolk County police say it's unclear why Christopher Wilson abruptly left or tumbled out of his Chevrolet Blazer around 1 p.m. Saturday on the eastbound side of the Long Island Expressway. He landed on the roadway just west of Exit 51 in Dix Hills but managed to escape being hit by any cars.
Police say the driverless SUV kept going for about another quarter-mile before slamming into a light post, veering onto the grass by the highway and hitting a couple of trees.
The 40-year-old Wilson was flown to Stony Brook University Hospital in serious condition. He's from Huntington Station.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, accident, long island news
- NYPD officer charged with DWI after shooting partner
- AccuWeather: Windy and cool
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Forest fire burning in NJ; Evacuations ordered
- Photos: Brush fire in Beachwood, New Jersey
- Yanks pitcher Michael Pineda suspended 10 games
- Justin Bieber being held at LAX 4 min ago
- NYU investigating pro-Palestine 'eviction' fliers 32 min ago
- 9-year-old dies in 40-story fall from Bronx high-rise 6 min ago
- Suspect charged with throwing Molotov Cocktail into deli 38 min ago
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Tavern on the Green reopens in Central Park Thursday
- Photos: Sneak peek inside the new Tavern on the Green
- 9-year-old dies in 40-story fall from Bronx...
6 min ago