Long Island News
Rental properties scarce after Sandy
BELLMORE, N.Y. (WABC) -- Another problem that's arising out of Sandy is that communities across the tri-state are running out of real estate.
With so many homes, now unlivable, it's a mad scramble tonight to find somewhere else to live, but rental properties are scarce.
When the Lent family from Bellmore, Long Island got a tip on a potential rental home they drove out immediately to look at the property.
"He said he took out the rugs and I can paint if I want the place," Lent said.
Here's the new reality for those trying to rebuild after Sandy; short term rental homes on Long Island, never plentiful before and now downright scarce.
Eyewitness News is told rents have jumped while options have dropped.
It's bad enough Sandy left them homeless, now they're like nomads, moving every few days from one relative to another, parceling out their three children to friends.
Monday night there was finally a glimmer of hope.
It turns out this home they found through the father's work, it has not been put on the market yet and it can fit everyone while they try to put their lives back together.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, bellmore, hurricane sandy, long island news, lucy yang
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 20 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies 39 min ago
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather 23 min ago
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
51 min ago
- Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
20 min ago