Long Island News
Concerns over sewage leak in Rockaways
FAR ROCKAWAY, New York (WABC) -- 65 million gallons of partially treated sewage. That's what's being put everyday into a bay on Long Island after sandy shut down the nearby sewage treatment plant.
Mary Ann Giannino shutters to think what came inside her home during Sandy, massive amounts of sewage from the nearby Bay Park sewage treatment plant.
During the storm a neighbor took a picture of the sewage bubbling out of a manhole and joining with the flooding waters.
"I've wiped the walls the cabinets 80 times with bleach germicides its almost incomprehensible where the water is coming from," she said.
The thing is the plant is still leaking some 65 million gallons of partially treated sewage every day into Hewlett Bay.
Local environmental groups are extremely concerned. They say in the next two to three weeks some of that sewage may begin showing up in local beaches and marinas.
"We are very afraid it will be washing back up on the shore, Freeport, Long Beach, Oceanside, Island Park and those other bay communities it's the last thing they need right now," said Adrienne Espositio, with Citizens Campaign for the Environment.
Nassau County says its treating the sewage with lots of chlorine until it can get the plant fully operational again.
A spokesman for the Nassau Department of Public Works said in a statement to Eyewitness News:
"A joint federal state county critical response team is working tirelessly to repair the sewage treatment plant. The county in partnership with the DEC and EPA are closely monitoring the progress."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park