Long Island News
Pedestrian killed by van on Long Island
WEST HEMPSTEAD, New York (WABC) -- Police on New York's Long Island are investigating an accident that killed a 22-year-old pedestrian.
Nassau County police detectives report 22-year-old Johnny Bonilla of West Hempstead was struck by a taxi driver in a Dodge Caravan shortly after 2 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day in West Hempstead.
Detectives say the driver was heading north on Hempstead Avenue and Bonilla was walking in the road. Bonilla was pronounced dead at a hospital.
Authorities say the driver's breathalyzer test was negative, and there is no evidence of criminal conduct. The vehicle was impounded for brake and safety checks.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long island news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees terrorized; car parts stolen in Elizabeth store
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen