Long Island News
Man hit by vandals after helping Sandy cleanup
HUNTINGTON (WABC) -- Paul Nosak, a tree-servicer owner says he had always dreamed of bringing his company to New York and making a difference.
Nosak was part of a clean-up outside the Huntington Baptist Church, where several huge trees had fallen on the roof. A local tree service originally said that the removal of the trees would have to wait until January.
Linda Sauerbrey, a church officer says they were concerned that waiting a long time would mean further damage to the church.
Nosak then saw the damage as he passed through the neighborhood by chance. He then walked into the church to offer his immediate services.
"He offered to remove the trees for less than the lowest bid," said church officer Nancy Lutz.
A team of eight workers joined Nosak and got the job done in 48 hours, but with his tractor trailers and other equipment parked outside the church overnight, Paul returned Saturday morning to serious vandalism - tires were slashed, a major piece of equipment was damaged, diesel fuel was siphoned and air hoses that are part of a brake system were cut.
"It takes a lot to slash the tires of a tractor-trailer. Cutting the air hoses could have killed someone," Nosak said.
Several days before the vandalism, Nosak received a hostile voicemail on his cell phone saying,
"You're out here trying to take our money. That's kind of hard, man. We wouldn't go to Oklahoma and do that to you guys."
Paul says there is more work available than all of the available companies could possibly do.
long island, huntington, suffolk county, hurricane, hurricane sandy, long island news, art mcfarland
- Winter Weather Advisory 17 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela at memorial 45 min ago
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City 16 min ago
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform 30 min ago
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Bronx River Parkway crash
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
16 min ago
- Winter Weather Advisory
17 min ago