Long Island News
Father attacked by pit bulls while shielding daughter
NEW CASSEL (WABC) -- A Long Island father is recovering from bite wounds after shielding his daughter from a pack pit bulls.
Police say three pit bulls ran out of an open gate at 17-year-old Nyisha Banks' home on Maplewood Drive in New Cassel Monday.
The 44-year-old victim stepped in front of his daughter and was bitten on the arms, legs and torso.
A 16-year-old who tried to help was also bitten on the knee.
Both victims fought off the dogs until Banks and a second juvenile came and removed the dogs, placing them back in the house.
The victims were transported to a local hospital for treatment. The child was not injured.
Banks and the second juvenile are charged with reckless endangerment.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, dog attack, new cassel, long island news
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Elderly pedestrian hit by two cars in Harlem
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- GWB repair work will close upper level lanes
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Pan Am 103 bombing anniversary marked by memorials
- Photos: Pan Am 103 bombing
- NASA astronauts make spacewalk for urgent repairs
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
51 min ago