Long Island News
Barbara arrested, accused of attempting to extort ex-wife
HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (WABC) -- A well-known lawyer is under arrest and facing serious charges.
Among the charges, Dominic Barbara is accused of harassment, stalking and attempting to extort money from his ex-wife.
"I think we should be ashamed of ourselves that we're still in this court system. I happen to be with Christ. I'm a religious person. I forgive her," said Dominic Barbara, the defendant.
Dominic Barbara says he has no hard feelings against his ex-wife.
But police arrested the former prominent Long Island attorney Tuesday morning and charged him with attempted grand larceny, harassment and stalking.
Prosecutors say the now broke Barbara tried to extort $200,000 from his ex-wife Leslie Barbara.
Eyewitness News found a picture of on the website of the law firm she works for.
Prosecutors say Barbara threatened to expose details of his ex-wife's alleged sexual relationships and disclose compromising videos and photos if she didn't pay him.
It's just the latest in Barbara's fall from grace saga.
At one time he represented some of the most high profile clients around, but is now living in and out of hotels and has been disbarred.
"Did you try to get $200,000 from her?" Eyewitness News asked.
"Of course not," Dominic Barbara said.
"Well that's what they said you did," Eyewitness News said.
"Next Monday I'll be holding a press conference I have three lawyers now and you'll hear about everything," Dominic Barbara said.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, extortion, long island news, kristin thorne
- Teen fatally shot on Queens bus identified 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Showers Show Up
- Eyewitness News Live
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Authorities: Hofstra student killed by police
- Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida 33 min ago
- 3 wounded after shooting in Bedford-Stuyvesant 35 min ago
- U.S. Air plane makes belly landing at Newark Airport
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Metro North crash
- Vito Lopez says he will resign effective Monday
- Pacers knock out Knicks with win in Game 6
- Photos: Belly landing at Newark Airport
- Photos: Metro North trains collide in Connecticut
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers