Long Island News
Fire rips through Long Beach Knights of Columbus
LONG BEACH (WABC) -- Fire burned through the Knights of Columbus building in Long Beach early Monday.
The inside is nothing but destruction and the roof is gone There are only pieces of what was.
"They were the right hand for everyone. The day after the storm they had food for everyone. They were always there," said Micheline McShane.
In the days and now weeks after Hurricane Sandy this Knights of Columbus in Long Beach was the place where people went to get clothing, hot meals and so much more.
"I think that the people who are left here which are very few that would be the place where they would meet in the evening to have a laugh together so it's pretty sad," said Jennifer Dilchert.
Around 2:30, Monday morning a fire broke out.
Investigators are still trying to determine how it started but they say it's not suspicious.
Eyewitness News is told most of the donations had already been given away and that activity at the center had slowed down in the last week.
But for people in the neighborhood who are still trying to recover from the storm this makes them wonder if they're ever going to catch a break.
"I've been living on cans of soup all donated from the Knights of Columbus because I don't have a kitchen my first floor was wiped out," said Michael Marlowe.
Donations can be made to the American Red Cross.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, long beach, fire, long island news
- AccuWeather: More snow Saturday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Fire burns through house in New Brunswick 19 min ago
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Golden Globes nominations announced
- Newtown school shooting vigils planned for Thursday
- Mandela interpreter says he was hallucinating
- George Bush writes letter to Alabama kicker after big loss
- Software engineer teaches homeless man how to code
- Photos: New Brunswick, New Jersey house fire
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos