Long Island News
Student critically injured in fall from school window
HUNTINGTON STATION (WABC) -- This event has left the teachers and students at Walt Whitman with many questions. They pray for their classmate and trying to understand what has happened.
"It's hard to keep straight as the youth today. It's hard. It's not easy. I just feel really bad, really bad for him," parent trisha bird said.
That was reaction from parents and students after learning that a senior was critically injured after tumbling from a third floor window at Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station at 9:15 Thursday morning.
School officials say the fall occurred during period change with students coming and going from a classroom.
It happened in the science wing of this building on the campus. Paramedics and teachers rushed to help the student who was air lifted to University Hospital at Stoney Brook in critical condition.
"Certainly, there are indications that the fall was self inflicted. Also indications that there was a note of some sort left. While we don't have that note, police do," superintendant David Bennardo said.
Investigators are trying to determine what happened at the window.
Immediately after the incident the school went into modified lockdown.
"They said everyone stay in your classroom. We weren't allowed out. No one really knew until after," student Joseph Godfrey said.
At the time of the fall, school officials say there was a teacher and a few students in the classroom leaving many to wonder what happened.
The student's name was not released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, huntington, student injury, long island news, tim fleischer
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
59 min ago