Long Island News
Student critically injured in fall from school window
HUNTINGTON STATION (WABC) -- This event has left the teachers and students at Walt Whitman with many questions. They pray for their classmate and trying to understand what has happened.
"It's hard to keep straight as the youth today. It's hard. It's not easy. I just feel really bad, really bad for him," parent trisha bird said.
That was reaction from parents and students after learning that a senior was critically injured after tumbling from a third floor window at Walt Whitman High School in Huntington Station at 9:15 Thursday morning.
School officials say the fall occurred during period change with students coming and going from a classroom.
It happened in the science wing of this building on the campus. Paramedics and teachers rushed to help the student who was air lifted to University Hospital at Stoney Brook in critical condition.
"Certainly, there are indications that the fall was self inflicted. Also indications that there was a note of some sort left. While we don't have that note, police do," superintendant David Bennardo said.
Investigators are trying to determine what happened at the window.
Immediately after the incident the school went into modified lockdown.
"They said everyone stay in your classroom. We weren't allowed out. No one really knew until after," student Joseph Godfrey said.
At the time of the fall, school officials say there was a teacher and a few students in the classroom leaving many to wonder what happened.
The student's name was not released.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, huntington, student injury, long island news, tim fleischer
- Retired NYPD officer charged in wife's murder
- AccuWeather: Seasonable Stretch
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Brooklyn man dies in skydiving accident in New Jersey
- Far Rockaway fire leaves 2 children dead
- Photos: Deadly fire in Far Rockaway
- Boston Marathon goes off under tight security
- Teen survives flight riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Woman charged in fatal hit-and-run in Stamford 30 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Coney Island double stabbing 40 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Lindsay Lohan admits miscarriage on her reality show
- Photos: Lindsay Lohan in pictures
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos