Long Island News
Long Island soldier killed in Afghanistan
BALDWIN, N.Y. -- A U.S. Army soldier from Long Island has died in Afghanistan.
Newsday reported (http://bit.ly/U2Buvp) Sunday that the Department of Defense said Sgt. 1st Class Kevin E. Lipari, of Baldwin, lost his life Friday while serving in Logar province.
The 39-year-old was assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, based in Bamberg, Germany.
Defense officials did not immediately provide any details about Lipari's death, which is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, baldwin, afghanistan war, long island news
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span
- Queens serial robber caught on surveillance camera 45 min ago
- Man caught on camera using cloned ATM card 32 min ago
- BridgeGate panel could call Gov. Chris Christie to testify 16 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87 4 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014 4 min ago