Long Island News
Long Island soldier killed in Afghanistan
BALDWIN, N.Y. -- A U.S. Army soldier from Long Island has died in Afghanistan.
Newsday reported (http://bit.ly/U2Buvp) Sunday that the Department of Defense said Sgt. 1st Class Kevin E. Lipari, of Baldwin, lost his life Friday while serving in Logar province.
The 39-year-old was assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, based in Bamberg, Germany.
Defense officials did not immediately provide any details about Lipari's death, which is under investigation.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, baldwin, afghanistan war, long island news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- AccuWeather: Much Colder 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Bible from East Harlem church found in debris
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- East Harlem community tries to move forward after explosion
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half Marathon 3 min ago
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for Malaysian jet widens
- Toddler survives after tumbling onto subway tracks
- Sick patrons interrupt Broadway show performance
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
33 min ago