Long Island News
Long Island deadbeat dad arrested in Los Angeles
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- Federal prosecutors say they have arrested a New York man accused of owing more than $1 million in child support.
The U.S. Attorney's office in Central Islip says 50-year-old Robert Sand was arrested Tuesday when he landed in Los Angeles after being deported from the Philippines.
Prosecutors believe Sand had been living in Thailand. He was taken into custody last month in the Philippines. Details were not immediately available.
Sand was listed as the federal government's "most wanted deadbeat parent." He allegedly failed to pay child support for more than a decade for three children from two marriages.
Sand is expected to be returned to Long Island federal court for an arraignment Jan. 16.
Defense attorney Glenn Obedin says his client "looks forward to the opportunity to address these issues."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, mineola, father arrested, children, long island news
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Rescuers continue scouring rubble in East Harlem
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Teen shot, apparently by brother, in Queens 26 min ago
- Long Island cab driver accused of exposing himself to girl
- Westchester animal shelter in danger of collapsing
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from SI hotel 57 min ago
- Jersey City fire victims to be laid to rest Friday
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Family loses two in East Harlem explosion
52 min ago
- Woman steals Dorothy's ruby slippers from...
57 min ago