Long Island News
Long Island deadbeat dad arrested in Los Angeles
MINEOLA, N.Y. -- Federal prosecutors say they have arrested a New York man accused of owing more than $1 million in child support.
The U.S. Attorney's office in Central Islip says 50-year-old Robert Sand was arrested Tuesday when he landed in Los Angeles after being deported from the Philippines.
Prosecutors believe Sand had been living in Thailand. He was taken into custody last month in the Philippines. Details were not immediately available.
Sand was listed as the federal government's "most wanted deadbeat parent." He allegedly failed to pay child support for more than a decade for three children from two marriages.
Sand is expected to be returned to Long Island federal court for an arraignment Jan. 16.
Defense attorney Glenn Obedin says his client "looks forward to the opportunity to address these issues."
Get Eyewitness News Delivered
long island, mineola, father arrested, children, long island news
- 3 lanes blocked on GWB due to maintenance
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Bipolar teen missing from Suffolk County
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen